Chickpeas are full of magnesium, B6 and B9 (folic acid) which makes them an excellent, healthy snack in between meals or at night-time. Magnesium and B vitamins promote a number of actions in the body which lead to sleep.
To make roasted chickpeas
1. Drain 1 can chickpeas, rinse, then allow to dry. Preheat oven to 200degC/400degF.
3. Place baking paper on an oven tray, place dry chickpeas on top and roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes (do not add the spices or olive oil yet – the chickpeas will crisp up better if they are roasted first before adding the oil).
4. Remove from oven and place chickpeas in a heatproof bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and mix well. Add the spices and mix to coat.
5. Place back on the oven tray and roast for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, mix so they roast evenly on all sides, return to oven and roast for another 5-10 minutes, until golden.
6. Turn off the oven. Open the door slightly and leave the chickpeas to cool in the oven to allow them to become ultra crisp.